Happy Monday! Normally I never say that, but I love everyday during the summer! A few weeks ago we celebrated Ryan, and Amanda’s birthdays with some good food, drinks, music, and this chocolate strawberry shortcake. I love strawberry shortcake, but I love chocolate even more, so I wanted to combine the 2. I looked through Food Gawker and found this recipe. It was super easy, and I am loving chocolate biscuits. Are you sold now that I said chocolate biscuits? Here we go…
First cut up your strawberries and add some sugar. Let those sit in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Now you’re gonna get your dough ready. You are making biscuits here, so this may not be new to you.
You can see I have my butter all cut up and my flour mixture ready to go. Dump in the butter and start mixing with your hands. I keep my flour in the freezer so this was a cold process. Mix until you have little pieces of butter mixed all in, it will be a coarse mixture.
Next get the chocolate ready. Melt it with a bit of milk and butter in the microwave. Be careful when you melt chocolate in the microwave, it can burn very easy. I normally go 30 seconds and stir. It will continue to melt as you stir.
Add the chocolate to the flour mix and combine.
Once combined you will roll it out. I dust my counter with flour and roll it there.
Use a glass and cut circles in the dough.
Place on your cookie sheet and bake!
Just assemble the shortcake however you want. I just did the biscuit, strawberries and whip cream, but you can do a double stack, or cut your biscuit in half…whatever!
If your biscuits cool before you serve, pop in them in the microwave, I think it is better served warm. Next time I think I may add a bit of Nutella on top of the biscuit. As always, let my know if you try this!
(Recipe Courtesy Busy Mommy)
- For the biscuits:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup margerine
- 1/2 cup, plus splash of milk
- 2 Tbls. butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For the strawberries:
- 2 small packages of strawberries (about 2 lbs)
- 1/4 cup sugar, or to your liking
- Whipped Cream
- First you hull and slice a few small packages of strawberries and mash them with the sugar. (You can use a potato masher or a cup). You want to keep all of the juices. Let them macerate in the fridge for awhile before serving with the shortcakes.
- For the biscuits: Stir 2 cups of all purpose flour, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, and 1/2 tsp salt. Cut in 1/2 cup margerine until there are coarse crumbs (I like to use my hands). Set aside. Heat 3/4 cups chocolate chips, 2 Tbls butter, and a splash of milk together until melted. Add the melted ingredients to the dry mixture along with 1/2 cup milk.
- Stir dough together. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10-12 strokes. The dough will be somewhat crumbly. Roll or pat to 1/2 inch thick and use a drinking cup to cut your biscuit circles.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 450 for 10-12 minutes. Serve warm topped with macerated strawberries and whipped cream.